Thursday, October 1, 2015

Recipe: Asian Cucumber Salad

Cucumbers are one of my favorite things in a salad. They are a valuable source of conventional antioxidant nutrients including vitamin C, beta-carotene, manganese and numerous flavonoid antioxidants. In studies, fresh extracts from cucumber have been shown to provide specific antioxidant benefits, including increased scavenging of free radicals and increased overall antioxidant capacity. Fresh cucumber extracts have also been shown to reduce unwanted inflammation in animal studies. So its best taken fresh without cooking. I usually make a quick toss of this with some vinegar, sugar, salt and a pinch of chili flakes. But this recipe is inspired by my gorgeous friend, fellow foodie and jetsetter, Cynthia Tiu.

This method of preparing cucumbers was taught by my Lola which I found out that chefs in Hong Kong actually do this too. Use the flat side of the cleaver to smash the whole cucumber, but not too much that it turns them into mush. Just enough that it will still hold its shape. Practice makes perfect. It's all in the wrist. Then slice diagonally or in bias. This way, the cucumbers absorb the dressing flavor much quicker. The black vinegar is made from fermented black rice, not vinegar with soy sauce which others mistaken for. As a probiotic ingredient, it has its health benefits as well. Since I was sick this week, I loaded some extra garlic in the salad to combat my colds. I added cilantro for some extra flavor, one of my favorite herbs.



Preparation time : 10 minutes
Serves 2-3

Ingredients
2 medium sized Japanese Cucumber, smashed and sliced bias. 
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp black vinegar (available in the Asian section of the grocery)
1 tsp Kikoman Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1 tsp brown sugar
A pinch of Korean chili flakes
Crushed peanuts (optional)
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
Cilantro or wansoy leaves

Sprinkle the salt over the smashed and sliced cucumbers in a sieve. Let the bitter juices drain while preparing the dressing. 
Mix the garlic, black vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar and chili flakes in a bowl.. Set aside. 
Squeeze the remaining juices in the cucumber and toss with the prepared dressing. Sprinkle with peanuts, sesame seeds and cilantro on top. 
Serve right away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...