Friday, January 3, 2020

Recipe: 3 Cheese Fusilli and Cheese aka Mac n' Cheese

One of the ways to expand a pickyeater’s food choices is to let them explore and prepare the meals themselves. My daughter hates anything pasta but fancies its shapes as long as its not long and stringy, macaroni included 🤦🏻‍♀️. 

I was surprised that she asked me to get some fusilli pasta today with her favorite pepper jack cheese so she can make Mac and Cheese at home. I’d course I indulged and teased her, it’s “Fuss and Cheese” for a fussy girl like you. I asked if she knew how and explained to me that she saw in someone YouTube grate and melt the cheese in the pan and add the pasta. That's it. I thought heavens no! you will burn the cheese 
 (Unless your using raclette) and the pasta has to be cooked beforehand. Sometimes YouTube videos aren't so comprehensive in explaining some details you need to guide kids in the kitchen. Think of the pots and pans to clean up and the wasted ingredients. So I explained to her the importance of learning the bechamel to make a mornay sauce or in plain term, cheese sauce.

I let her boil the pasta, grate the cheese, cook the bechamel and put together everything including the garnish. And what do you know, she ate everything! I’d better write this exact recipe on the blog so she can refer to it again next time she wants to make one. Exploring one dish at a time for this picky eater’s journey.


This is a fairly easy recipe that you can teach your kids who likes to cook.


Ingredients:

  • 200 grams fusilli cooked al dente
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 2 teaspoons flour
  • 2 cups fresh milk
  • salt and white pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
  • 1 tbsp Chiz Whiz
Procedure:
  1. Boil past until cooked al dente. Drain and set aside
  2. Melt butter in a saucepan and add the flour to make a roux.
  3. Add the fresh milk and stir over medium heat until thickened. Nappe consistency. At this stage we are making the bechamel sauce.
  4. Add the three cheeses and stir further until just melted. Now the sauce has become mornay.
  5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  6. Add the cooked fusilli in the sauce and toss to coat them evenly.
  7. Garnish with chili flakes or paprika if desired or with chopped parsley.
  8. Serves 2 to 3 persons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...