Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Recipe: Weekend Pasta Marinara



In our household, lazy weekends call for simple easy to prepare meals like pasta. It only takes about 30 minutes to get everything done. I cook the pasta ahead and while its simmering, I prepare the sauce. It takes around 10-15 minutes for the sauce to finish and I still have time to plate everything up. Just thaw everything that has been frozen like ground meat, sausages or seafoods.

This weekend, I'm going to steer away from using meat products for a while so I'm going to make Pasta Marinara (seafood). It's a family favorite aside from Pasta Vongole (Clams) which I'm going to share with you soon. 

Originally, “Marinara” is derived from the word, “marinaro” or “of the sea”. The invention of this sauce was believed that it came about during mid 16th century when Spain introduced the tomatoes to Europe. The original recipe did not contain seafoods and the sauce itself would last longer because of the high acidity of the tomatoes. Later on, it became a staple for sailors who are aboard on ship for months because it didn't require refrigeration which was not invented yet, hence the word "marinara" was translated to "sauce of the sailors".

Today, we have so many different versions marinara sauce that you can just google. This is the recipe that I frequently use.

Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
Serves 3-4 persons

Ingredients:

  • 200-250 grams of linguini, cooked al dente 
  • 2 tbsp a olive oil
  • Small onion. minced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 medium tomato cubed
  • 1/4 cup suahe, shelled and deveined
  • 1/4 cup squid, sliced into rings
  • 1/4 cup fish fillet, cubed
  • 100-150 grams of clams, fresh in their shells and scrubbed clean
  • 1/4 cup Chianti or any white wine (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp White pepper 
  • 450 ml spaghetti sauce (this is where you can save time by using pre seasoned sauce) I use Clara Ole brand with the Chunky Tomato Basil variant. 
  • 1 tbsp butter (optional)
  • Grated Parmesan cheese

Procedure:

  • Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
  • On medium heat, sauté the onions, garlic and tomatoes. Let it sweat for a while. 
  • Add the suahe, squid, fish fillet and clams. Turn the heat up and stir fry the seafoods quickly for a few seconds and pour the white wine over it. Cover and let it cook for about 10 seconds. The alcohol content in the wine should dissapear with the high heat. Season with white pepper. 
  • Pour the tomato sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes more until the seafoods are cooked though. The shellfish should all be opened by now. 
  • Do not overlook the seafoods. 
  • Turn off the heat and throw in the butter. This should melt in the sauce giving it a hint of creamy, butter taste to it. 
  • Finally toss the linguini in the sauce and plate them individually.
  • Top with grated parmesan cheese.
  • Alternatively, I love to add fresh cilantro on my pasta marinara. 

Great paired with the Chianti you used on the recipe. Any brand as long as it taste good on my palate is fine. I'm no sommelier.







I love this spaghetti sauce variant from Clara Olé


I used to consume Del Monte, then Heinz (which I prefer and I can't find in the groceries anymore...why, Heinz?)

Image source: https://www.facebook.com/myclaraole

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...