Thursday, November 17, 2016

Strobing with Sleek Highlighting Palette

Strobing is just a fancy schmancy term of highlighting in makeup. Strobing can also mean lights in photography. The makeup industry actually adopts so many photography terms in their makeup line such as HD (high definition) foundations, Blue Ray Mascara, Strobing creams, powders and so on. More and more cosmetic brands are hitching on the fancy terminology bandwagon that we love to watch and follow. However it's really up to you which brand you particularly like and more importantly which suits your budget. I want both budget and performance. So I want to share with you my favourite makeup item that is useful this holiday season.

I admit this is super filtered photo but I like how the strobing technique gave me that youthful glow that I wanted. It brightens your face instantly. A strobing palette is a perfect addition to look your best this Christmas season.
Strobing technique in makeup became a thing last year and I haven't really tried it because I was afraid it would make my very oily skin appear oilier. Strobing simply means, to highlight. And I have seen how others practically apply highlighting all over their face that makes them look like a lechon. The key is to apply it where the sun naturally hits your face. I know this mantra has been written in all strobing articles in magazines and blogs and it proves to be true. And so is applying it in thin layers until you achieve the effect you like.

A client approached me and she would like to have that strobe effect on her evening makeup for an important event. Hunting for nice highlighting palette was easy thanks to Instagram. I have been a follower of Sleek makeup since I bought my first Sleek Face Form contour and blush palette at Sephora years ago. Sleek is a UK based brand with moderately priced makeup range with fantastic palettes and wonderful color payoff. And recently, SleekMakupPh featured their Cleopatra's Kiss highlighting palette on IG and I instantly loved it. I headed to SM City Cebu to get one. I was lucky since it was the last box and the rest were the Precious Metals and Solstice set. Cleopatra's Kiss has colors that suits well with most skin tones so it's an ideal palette to keep in my MUA traincase. The client was older than me with smooth but sallow skin since she smokes a lot. But the strobing effect gave her that glowy look that she wanted. Well I got one happy client that day but she declined if I asked to photograph her for this blog. So i'm sticking to me, myself and I again just to demonstrate my point in the following paragraphs.

Nice metallic gold case. Measures approx 2.5 x 4.375". Retails for Php 875.00
Cleopatra's Kiss palette. Top L-R: Sphinx (powder) and Delta. (cream) Bottom L-R: Dynasty (cream) and Goddess (powder)
Swatches. Top L-R: Sphinx and Delta. Bottom L-R: Dynasty and Goddess
L-R: Goddess, Delta, Dynasty and Spninx
Back label.
I like to strobe with a bit of contouring to give my face depth and warmth. The highlights make your skin bright, dewy with a youthful glow. I helps blur out fine lines and makes you look younger. Honestly, I'm not afraid of strobing any more as long as you know where to station your highlights. Strobing could be a for fortysomething like me, your best friend.

Left: I started out with plain face. Just a thin layer of Maybelline BB Stick, Nyx eyebrow gel to groom my eyebrows and a thin layer of Sleek Matte Me liquid lippie in Birthday Suit.
Right: With a bit of contouring using Sleek Face Form Light. No blush.
Left: Just contouring. It looks fine and matte which I usually prefer before.
Right: With strobing on the brow bone, cheeks, nose bridge and above the cupids bow on your lips. It gave me a dewy look that I have grown to like.
How and where to strobe:
Sphinx on the brow bone.
Delta on the cheeks.
Dynasty on the nose bridge.
Goddess on the top of the cupid's bow on my lips.
Remember to apply sparingly in thin layers until you achieve the right amount of glow that you want. This is a no filter photo.
Tip: You can apply the powder based highlighter over the cream based highlighter to make it last longer like I did with the inner corners of my eyes.
I used Sphinx over Dynasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...