Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Recipe: Jenny's Homemade Okonomiyaki

My home made okonomiyaki.

Still craving for some Okonomiyaki after my last trip to Dohtonbori, I decided to whip up my own version using ingredients that are found at the local grocery. I don't claim this to be authentic but rather my own version since I am so desperate to have this again.

Okonomiyaki is a savory Japanese pancake made from flour, nagaimo/yamaimo, eggs, tenkasu, cabbage, meat/seafood and topped with okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, bonito flakes, nori flakes and chives. The word literally means “grilled as you like it” so I’m free to tweak some of the traditional ingredients to the ones that are available on hand.

Nagaimo and or yamaimo is an Asian root crop similar to Western potato and yams. It is said to make the batter fluffier and give it a less dough like texture. I substituted this with our local camote flour. Camote flour is a staple in my kitchen, I use it to make Mah-ki, Mah-ki-mi and Ô-á-chian (oyster omellete). I figure if I combine it with all purpose flour, it will make the pancake moist with almost chewy texture on the inside (much like the Taiwan oyster omelettes- yum) with crunchy outside crust.

Tenkasu are tiny pieces of crunchy, deep fried tempura batter commonly used in toppings for takoyaki, noodles as well was traditionally mixed with the okonomiyaki batter. Since it’s difficult to find the ready made variety, you can make one by frying tempura batter by droplets in hot oil to create tiny crunchy tempura batter bits. And when laziness strikes like in my case, I used Panko (tempura breadcrumbs), which is commonly available in the market.

For the veggies, I added a special healthy twist of malunggay leaves to the shredded cabbage for added nutrition. Works well with the dish. Since I haven't found bonito flakes yet, I used Furikake packs which has some bonito flavor in it. I'll mention where I bought my ingredients below.

Batter with panko on top.
Ingredients:

For the batter, sift together:

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup camote flour (Fooda, Metro Gaisano, Market Market)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt

Note: Camote flour is grainy, so make sure to pulverize the big pieces with your fingers before sifting.

Beat in the:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 2 tbsp oil

Mixture should resemble like thick pancake batter. Adjust liquid accordingly. Thin mixture will result thinner okonomiyaki. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in the refridgerator.
Cabbage and malunggay.

Cabbage, malunggay, kani crab sticks and bacon.

Prepare the following:

  • 1/4 cup panko or Japanese beadcrumbs (Rustan's Fresh, Fooda, Metro Gaisano, Market Market)
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage
  • 1 cup malunggay leaves (our frontyard :)
  • 3 strips sliced bacon (I used Virginia brand)
  • 3 sticks kani crab sticks, pulled out into strips (Rustan's Fresh, Fooda, Metro Gaisano, Market Market)
Mix these with the flour mixture.

Mix these with the flour mixture that you have set aside in the fridge.

Pour the enough batter on the surface like a pancake, about 6 to 7 " in diameter.
Continue cook in medium heat until both sides are nicely browned and crisp, about 5 minutes each side.
Heat a cast iron skillet or a non stick pan (better if you have a Japanese teppan grill) and drizzle some oil on the surface. Once its smoking hot, turn the heat down to a medium and pour the enough batter on the surface like a pancake, about 6 to 7 " in diameter to make it managable to flip it later on. Continue cook in medium heat until both sides are nicely browned and crisp, about 5 minutes each side. Don't flip it over and over or you'll end up a broken pancake. Transfer on to a plate when done. Oil the pan for another batch if necessary. My recipe makes about four okonomiyakis.
From left, furikake, chopped chives (top), Okonomiyaki sauce (bottom), Kewpie 1/2 reduced fat mayonnaise.

Home made okonomiyaki sauce.
For the topping, you can buy Otakufu or Bulldog brand of Okonomiyaki sauce or you can make your own. I happen to google this recipe from another blogger and her mixture is perfect. (1234 sequence makes it easy for me to remember. hehehe)
  • 1 teaspoon white or brown sugar 
  • 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
  • 3 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
  • 4 teaspoons tomato ketchup
Mix all of these until sugar is dissolved and brush a layer over the hot okonomiyaki.
Brush a layer of the sauce first.

Drizzle with Mayo.
Sprinkle with Furikake and chives.
  • Kewpie 1/2 less fat mayonnaise (Rustan's Fresh)
  • Marumiya Furikake Rice Seasoning, "Egg and Seaweed Flavor" (Rustan's)
  • Chopped chives (or green onions)

Drizzle with Japanese mayonnaise. This is something you cannot replace. Kewpie brand is the best. And finally, sprinkle some chopped chives (or green onions) and some Furikake on top.
Just as I predicted, crunchy on the sides and moist and slightly chewy on the inside with just the right "fluff".
Eat them right away.

Itadakimasu! 

1 comment:

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...