Saturday, November 16, 2019

Recipe: Oyster Omelette O-a-chian


Spotted some fresh oysters lately and bought a few grams to make my favorite oyster omelette. This is a popular street food in Taiwan and in Thailand. Chinese in origin and often called as oachian in Hokkien, I remember helping my dad make this dish when I was little using camote starch and some aromatics like ginger, green onions, wansoy, and available veggies like mungbean sprouts or cabbage. 
I personally tweaked this recipe by adding some baking soda to the batter to make it crunchy on the outside while slightly moist and chewy on the inside. A texture that you can’t get using flour or cornstarch. Definitely camote or potato flour is a must for this recipe. And the final condiment for this is a generous squeeze of #or Sunrise Chinese hot sauce. 

Ingredients:
  • 100 grams shucked oysters
  • 1/3 cup camote starch
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 thumb sized ginger, julienned 
  • 1 stalk green onions,chopped
  • Wansoy stalks chopped, reserve the leaves for garnish. 
  • Pinch of salt

  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Careful not to overseason it since oysters are already a bit salty. 
  2. Heat a nonstick or cast iron skillet with cooking oil. 
  3. Pour the batter and cook in medium heat until browned on both sides. I like to flip it four times to pan fry each side twice to get that crunchy outer crust. 
  4. Serve hot with sriracha. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...