Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Recipe: Manong Fishball's Sauce

Serve the sauce in glass jars for that rustic feel.

From time to time, I get this squid balls craving whenever I pass by a street vendor selling fish balls or squid balls. Hot off the frying pan and dipped in their homemade sauce. Hmmm, yummy! But I get hygiene issues when it comes to their sauce.  No double dip rule applies to all of the vendors I've known but what about storing it at the cart over several hours under the sweltering heat of the sun? Salmonella alert! I have nothing against the vendors and I don't think they deliberately spoil the sauce. They might may carry a cooler perhaps as a precaution. But I've eaten more than a dozen times and I'm still okay.

Yet, it's more practical if you make one yourself at the comfort of your own home. You get it anytime you want it without looking for manong fishball out there. This recipe is from the one I got from the Internet ( yeah, you can almost get anything from the Internet including fish balls) tweaked and scaled down the measurements to a minimum so I can use only a small amount for my family's consumption. The sauce can only keep for about a week. Discard the rest afterwards. This is good for a cup or so of the sauce. 

Dip away!

This is the squid ball brand I buy. Akai Foods brand. Texture is just right when fried... Crunchy on the outside and soft, chewy and firm on the inside. About P190/ kilo. 


I like to put them in slim and tall jars, that way it gets the sauce all over the balls. 




Manong Fishball's Sauce

by Jenny Sibi
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 15
Ingredients (1 cup)
  • 1 cup water
  • 11/2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Mama Sita's Barbeque Marinade ( gives it a barbeque flavor)
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp chili sauce ( I used the takeout one from Dimsum Break :) or
  • 1 pc siling labuyo chopped (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp onion minced
  • 1/2 tsp garlic minced
  • Slurry: This is the thickener. If you can find the Camote Starch, Camote Flour or Camote Powder, the better. It stabilizes the sauce better than cornstarch. Camote Powder is used in making Maki or Maki Mi.
  • 1 tsp. camote Flour
  • 1/2 cup water
Instructions
Procedure:
Combine the first 8 ingredients. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 2-3 mins.
Mix the camote flour and water.
Pour this slowly in the simmering sauce. Little by little until you get the right consistency you want.
Pour the sauce inside a sterilized glass jar with lid.
Powered by Recipage

2 comments:

  1. The camote flour is hard to find in my side of the world, is there any suggestion for a substitute?
    Thanks much! More power to you, I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. You may use cornstarch or cornflour as substitute. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...