Thursday, September 24, 2015

Recipe: Adobong Salmon in Tausi

Honestly, I really have no idea what to call this dish because its my version of Part'ebelle's "Ubod".



Whenever I get to lunch out with the people in the office, we usually go to this Part'ebelle Seafood Restaurant near SM City Cebu. It's a laid back style food joint where the main dishes are seafood. Cooking methods are either charcoal grilled, tinola (soup), kinilaw (cooked in vinegar) or nilarang (stewed). I particularly like a certain dish they called "Ubod". No. its not the coconut ubod but rather a common eel in Visayan dialect. It's loaded with slices of fat, fat eels (yep double omega 3 fat there and its really delicious), stewed in sweet tangy soya sauce, very much like an adobo sauce with slices of ginger, onions, jalapeño and tamarind fruit (from what I found when I attempted to deconstruct the dish).

Since I don't know where to find ubod fish (specially this less bony variety), I settled for some fat salmon belly which is almost available in groceries everywhere.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serves 4-5

Ingredients:

  • Large thumb sized ginger, pounded and sliced thinly
  • 3 small cloves of garlic, smashed
  • 1 small onion sliced
  • 1 stalk green onions
  • 1 tsp oil
  • 200 grams salmon belly
  • 1/4 cup young tamarind fruit, pounded OR
  • 1/2 tsp. Sinigang Sampaloc powder (remember to consider the salty seasoning when using this powder)
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp soy sauce (adjust to taste)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1-2 pcs. jalapeño pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp tausi or fermented black beans (adjust to taste)
  • ground peppercorns to taste




Procedure:

1. Saute ginger, garlic and onions in oil. 


2. Add the salmon belly, tamarind fruit or if using sinigang powder, mix it with the soy sauce-sugar mixture in step 3.


3. Mix the sugar, soy sauce and pour over the salmon. Stir to coat and brown the salmon briefly.
   
4. Add the water, jalapeño, bay leaf,  tausi or fermented black beans and peppercorns.
5. Cover and cook in low heat foe 10-15 minutes.

6. The sauce should thicken itself by then. If not, turn up the heat to reduce and thicken the sauce some more.

Serve with rice or maize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...