Thursday, February 25, 2016

Recipe: 5 Minute Mullberry Jam (No cook)

I like my Mullberry jam on top of cream cheese on toast or Fita crackers.


The Busay mountains in Cebu has been one of our favourite places to retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life. It's just a quick short thirty minute up to an hour drive depending on your destination. No tickets and suitcases needed. Armed with a camera, sweater, jeans and favourite Jimmy boots, me and my family prepare ourselves for another scenic and gastronomic adventure. Well, its actually the same scene and the same food (sweet corn!). But there are times when the atmosphere changes from sunny to shady to foggy and refrigerator cold. Nothing like a dose of cool fresh mountain breeze to perk your spirits up. 

We have a friend and his wife who has a little farm up there where they grow vegetables commercially. His wife who happens to be a green thumb and a great cook (can't get over the Roasted Native Chicken and Tinola and Sautéed Gizzards!) recently gave us a bunch of homegrown mullberries for tasting. Imagine mullberries in Busay! These berries however are not commercially grown, mind you. Thank you for this and the rest of the vegetables by the way.



So I have this bunch of berries in the kitchen. I googled on how to wash, hull and prepare them. I also found out that blackberries contain compounds that may help you protect your heart, brain and cell damage. I remember watching an interview of Dr. Zen Obagi saying that berries and other sour fruits are beneficial to the skin. Hmmm, basta pang beauty lagi, go! Lets all eat berries for health and beauty's sake. 

This juicy bunch had a mix of sweet and sour ones so I decided to make them into a jam. As you all well know that you need pectin to thicken up a jam. I have no idea where to get them locally so I'm using chia seeds instead. Chia seeds swell up and turn into jelly-like consistency similar to a jam. And these little superfood guys is loaded with massive amount of nutrients and is considered one of the healthiest food in the planet as well.  This jam recipe is quick, easy and doesn't need any cooking at all so all the goodness is retained.



Makes a cup of jam.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup mullberries (You may use any other frozen berries if you wish)
  • 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey




Procedure:

  1. Place everything in a food processor and pulse until everything is mixed together. 
  2. You may pulse in a short time if you want your fruits to be chunky or pulse longer if you want it mushy.
  3. Pack them in sterilised glass jar and refridgerate for about an hour to give time for the chia seeds to thicken.


For IG moments :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I'd love to hear from you. Comments, suggestions and questions are always welcome. I may not be able to answer right away since I can't be online 24/7 but I'll do my best to reply. :)

Printfriendly

Email this page EMAIL THIS PAGE
EMAIL THIS PAGE

Type a word and hit search.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...